Pages

DIY by Katya Ryazanova. Stained glass painting in a free-style

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

This will not be a traditional DIY. It is rather an invitation to the happening. Fans and newbies at the stained glass painting, I am offering you to get carried away by the free-style painting on glass.

I had enough of playing with decoupage and rose ornaments. Now I want to do something light and organic .. I am turning a glass in my hands... and pictured .. Fire and Feathers!

I have different stained glass paints from different manufacturers at my hand. So it is going to be as organic as it gets!

Tools and materials:

- A glass (or two... or three!)
- Stained glass claques ArtGlass by Marabu 
- Paint Decoglass by Ferrario (this is a paste allowing you to create three-dimensional texture on the glass)
- Stained glass paints Gallery Glass of Plaid
- Stained glass paint Glas-Effekt-Gel by VivaDecor
- Alcohol or nail polish remover (for degreasing the glass)
- Spatula (to create textures on stained glass using paste by Ferrario)
- Thin synthetic brush (for applying stained glass alkyd based lacquers)
- White spirit for cleaning brushes


I am working on the two glasses at the same time here. You can use the materials that you have. You can work with any glass vessel.

Degrease the surface of your glass with nail polish remover (alcohol-based one). I love materials that allow me to create texture. I squeeze out a little bit of the stained glass paste (by Ferrario) and use my spatula  to create what is going to be the surface of my glass. Strokes lead in the same direction. I am trying to show the details in my picture here... However, photographing the glass proves to be a special art .. I still need to get that skill...





Paint dry up and become brighter and more transparent. Red looks a lot beeter after drying. I am already liking it )






I apply stained glass paint drops "golden pearl" by Plaid on the brown layer. Then add blue paint by VivaDecor. Both manufacturers made my life a lot easier by making a thin tip on their paint tubes. We do not need a brush anymore and can just the paint straight to the surface. You can use a toothpick to help yourself. Note that I am keeping the direction of the brushstrokes! The photo shows how I put the brushstrokes of different colors. 




I am adding turquoise color by VivaDecor here:



I decided to add yellow color to this fiery red... then black and green. Black drops are down below and a little bit of green for drama... Then yellow feathers on top.



I am using stained glass paints ArtGlass by Marabu. Stained glass paints (alkyd based) should be applied by a small synthetic brush. Natural hair brushes cannot survive through this and will shed! Also do not take a brush with long tip. You need to use just the tip of your brush. If the tip is too long it will dry up and become contaminated.




This is the the outcome of my fire and feathers idea. I decided to enhance the yellow color. Stained glass paints dry quickly creating a bright thin transparent layer. They do  not require baking. I applied the second layer right over the first one.  Oh, wow! It turns out you can not do this.. unless you wish for craquelure to happen!!! Lucky for me, I do love craquelure, so I am happy! :)



My glasses were reborn as the candle-holders! I will call them Yin and Yang))



I sealed my work with the stained glass sealant by Plaid. If you are using the water-based paint, you can bake them (if the manufacturer recommends). Since I used different colors in the same work, I decided not to risk and to stick to the sealant only. Stained glass paints (alkyd based) do not require baking.


These glasses can be washed in cool water without abrasives.

Do not be afraid of being creative!

Katya Ryazanova
Katya wrote a few guest posts for the blog. You can find all her DIY posts here.

0 comments:

 
Jewelry Designer Blog. Jewelry by Natalia Khon. Design by Pocket